Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Clyburn thinks he's 'speeecial'...

Here's a quote Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) made Sunday on Fox News: “We’ve had some incidents where TSA authorities think that congresspeople should be treated like everybody else,” he said. “Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”

Doggone those TSA types thinking that Clyburn and other congresspeople aren't special. What is it with those jerks, huh?

Years back when I first started in management I had someone give me a tip. They said that at the point that anyone thought they were indispensable they became dispensable. I'd modify that statement a little to say that at the point any of our elected officials begin to think they're special, set apart, better than those they serve, then they need to be dispensed with. And no, I don't mean in any way other than via the ballot box. It's time for them to go home.

Clyburn is really stretching the Rahm axiom not to waste any crisis past the point of credulousness. He said the above in response to questions about the sad, horrific shooting in Arizona. It's bad enough that they're turning this horrible mass killing by a bent individual into political hay. Clyburn goes over into the rhealm of ridiculousness trying to tie the fact that some, and I bet it's only a few, congresspeople happen to get patted down by security. Just like the rest of us.

Ya think that all the TSA folks know who all their elected officials are? Can you imagine the indignation Clyburn must show when someone doesn't recognize him? I gather he must have been chosen for the indecent pat down and just didn't like it.

Who knows?

His comments just show how far removed from reality our elected officials have become.

If, as Clyburn says, they're held to a higher standard in so many ways, why do we have so many tax evaders, ethics problems and other issues among our body of Congress? How do they manage to slide on all these things that would have you or I sitting in jail or giving up our assets? I'd like for him to list the ways they're held to a higher standard. If I had an affair with a subordinate, I'd lose my job. Not so in Congress. If I didn't pay my taxes I'd face serious consequences. Not so in Congress.

I never, ever want to see an elite ruling class in Washington. I want them treated just like I'm treated. When we get away from having 'real' people in elected office then we've lost everything that America stands for.

House Dem calls for 'beefed up' security, special treatment for members by TSA
By Sean J. Miller - 01/09/11 10:27 AM ET A top House Democrat said the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) should change how members of Congress are screened at airports.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/136849-house-dem-calls-for-beefed-up-security-special-treatment-by-tsa

No comments: